Tuesday, January 18, 2011

a blogging pep talk

I don’t know about the rest of you but, I tend to have major blog envy. Blogs like Rockstar Diaries or Nat the Fat Rat. I can’t help but compare myself to the perfection of it all. Hair, clothes, stay-at-home-crafty kinda Moms. I read an article on salon.com today on "Mormon Housewife Blogs." The author isn’t LDS, she isn’t a Mom, and she doesn’t bake or craft. But, she's envious too. In the article she says,


Yep, Naomi and Stacie and Stephanie and Liz are Mormons. They're members of a large, close-knit network of Mormon lifestyle bloggers -- young stay-at-home-moms who blog about home and hearth, Latter-day Saint-style.…. Mormon lifestyle bloggers occupy their very own corner of the blogosphere.

Their lives are nothing like mine -- I'm your standard-issue late-20-something childless overeducated atheist feminist -- yet I'm completely obsessed with their blogs. On an average day, I'll skim through a half-dozen Mormon blogs, looking at Polaroids of dogs in raincoats or kids in bow ties, reading gratitude lists, admiring sewing projects.”


I loved this! Though I don’t have 10,000 followers, live in a hip city, or wear vintage clothing, I am a Mormon. I am mid-20's. I do blog. And I do have a “baby gap ad” toddler. (Her words, not mine.) So, as much as I long to have a blog that reflects Cjane’s style, at least now I can feel confident that I’m in the same circle, right? I share the same “corner of the blogosphere”. Really the common attraction here is being a Member. The gospel is happy! And it shines through, even in blogs.

I guess I just needed a little pep-talk. And who better to give me one then myself?

To read the rest of the article, and please do, it’s a good one, go HERE!

One more thing. Thank you to all the popular “Mormon Housewife Blogs” for being good examples to your non-member readers and for keeping the 50’s lifestyle cool. Keep drinking your ridiculous amounts of hot chocolate. (Again, her words, not mine.)



Also...this is my 200th post. Sweet!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I read that article too Bug and I thought it was so well written. I got a kick out of her being obsessed with "watching" the Mormom mommy bloggers when she is nothing like them! I guess that is why we like watching the Bachelor and other reality shows, huh? It is just interesting to see how other people live sometimes.

Unknown said...

I just say that that this is your 200th blog post! Way to go sweetie! Keep it up for Libby and all the little girls yet to come! (Hee hee ... wishful thinkin!)

courtyandwill said...

I read that article too. Pretty Kz and cool at the same time. Happy 200th post...go on with yo bad self! :)